Well, a couple of people asked me if I planned on updating my blog so today I got bored and decided to finally do it.
Last week, I made something from Pinterest and it actually turned out well. A Salad in a Mason Jar. I made a couple and it was still delicious by the end of the week. I don’t have a link to the original pin that I saw, but there’s like 34234234 version so I don’t feel bad giving direct credit to an individual.
This version differs from my previous version slightly. I decided to make a blue cheese dressing and add some bacon so I am calling this my Cobb-ish Salad.
Cobb-ish Salad: Mason Jar Style
Serves 5 @ ~370 Calories (w/ Egg and Lite & Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing ) According to MyFitnessPal
- 1.25 LB Chicken Breast, Grilled & Cubed
- Bag of Baby Spinach/Greens of Choices
- 6 Crimini Mushrooms, Washed & Sliced
- 1/4 Medium Red Onion, Diced
- 1/2 Hot House Cucumber, Diced
- 1/3 Bag Shredded Carrots
- 15 Pearl Tomatoes
- Yellow Bell Pepper, Diced
- 4 Slices Thick Cut Bacon, Cooked & Crumbled
- 5 Eggs, Hard Boiled*
- Blue Cheese or Dressing of Choice (See Below for Lite & Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing)
- 5 Wide Mouth Pint Mason Jars w/ Lids
- Season Chicken & Grill. I used the 21 Salute Seasoning from Trader Joe’s plus a little seasoned salt. I then grilled mine on my Staub Grill Pan. I let it cool before cubing to keep in the juices.
- Cook Bacon. I cooked 4 slices of Wright’s Thick Cut Bacon in the Over on 425 for about 15-20 mins. Until it was looking crispy. Then I put it on a towel to cook. Then I just ripped it into bite size pieces.
- Prep Veggies. I diced up my veggies making sure to keep everything in similar sizes. That’s not really necessary, but that’s just how I like it. After cutting all the veggies. I put everything onto a platter to make the assembly easier.
- Assemble Salad. In mason jar, add the dressing followed by the hardiest ingredient. In this case, I added the chicken next followed by the red onion. These will sit in each other and the chicken will soak of the flavor of the dressing and the dressing will incorporate the onion flavor and it will become more awesome. Then I added the various veggies leaving the spinach for last. At this point, the jar will be pretty full so you have to back that sucker.
- Refrigerate. Stick the jars in the fridge and grab as needed. If you’re making a vinaigrette dressing instead the olive oil will get hard. In that case, soak in slightly warm water for a few mins then you can shake it up and it will coat the whole salad. Then dump on a plate and enjoy.
*Note: I did not add the boiled egg to the jar. I plan to dice it up and add directly to my plate
Lite & Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
(Adapted from SkinnyTaste )
Serves 8 @ 39 Calories per MFP
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 6 Oz Greek Yogurt, Fage 0%
- 2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 Jumbo Lemon or 1 Small Lemon
- Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper, To Taste
- Mix everything until creamy & delicious.
There actually ends up being a lot of food packed in that little jar and the salad is very filling. It is also easy to grab and take for lunch. Like I said, I made these last week and it was still fresh and crispy on Friday. You can also make so many different variations.